Friday, July 17, 2009

The incredible, not so edible, L'egg

Last Wednesday I worked my first 12 hour shift. Where did they put me? I'm glad you asked. I was in the ED.....I don't know why they don't just issues roller blades at the front door 'cause I'm here to tell you it was non stop. There were moments in the day that there were 3 and 4 ambulances in the bay with an already full ED and patients in holding rooms waiting for beds to open up so they could be admitted. Crazy stuff, I tell ya. So crazy that after walking onto the floor at 0645 it suddenly hit me at 1445 in the middle of the third cardioversion of the day that I had not peed all day, my bladder weighed at least 4lbs, my legs were throbbing, my feet were numb and my stomach was shouting profanities at me.

That evening when I got home I was so tired I couldn't sleep. My legs were still throbbing. I'm sure they were in total rebellion at this point. They had been carrying my big behind around all day with additional 4-6lb, over distended bladder. There was no way they were going to chill and let me sleep. But alas, they finally quited down and let me get some sleep. The next day the nurse I was precepting with decided to let me in on her little secret.......support hose. I'm thinking, ok, Granny, seriously? She swore by them and said I'd be a fool not to invest in a good pair.

Well, surprise, surprise surprise. Who would have thought that a simple thing like support hose could have such a positive impact on someone's life.
I didn't even realize they still made panty hose. I'm a commando girl myself.....its a family trait...well, except for my #2 sister. I have to say, I was kind of embarrassed walking into the store looking for panty hose. I mean, honestly, who wears panty hose these days? Especially in Florida where temperatures soar into the upper 90's with 100%humidity 6 months out of the year. Well, let me tell you, sign me up I'm a tried and true believer in support panty hose. I will crack that little egg open before every 12 hour shift and proudly adorn those tacky, tight, sticky, mom jeans waisted, cirulation promoting, oh so energizing support hose and do so with pride!!

Viva la L'eggs!!!!

6 comments:

Bretthead said...

I learned about panty hose and that you don't wear undies. Interesting day...

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules said...

I aim to provide an informative and educational blog!! ;)

Candice said...

Welcome to my world sister! This is why after I work PRN princess shifts these days. 8 to 10 hours is all that I care to be in the ER. 12 hr shifts BLOW!

wife.mom.nurse said...

LOL!

Your veins will thank you too!

Missy said...

I discovered granny hose a couple of years back! They are a miracle!